Sunday, February 15, 2009

BARBIE COUTURE

















As a girl, I enjoyed playing with my Barbie dolls. My favourite thing to do with them was dress and undress them in different outfits to get them ready for whatever activity they were dressed for. The playing never actually got done, if I recall correctly, since I obtained more pleasure from their clothes.
My Barbies met an untimely demise when I revisited them as a teen only to find my younger sister had either shaved their heads or had given them Mohawks (Johnny Rotten had a heavy influence on her life at that time!).
Now my daughter has turned five, she is showing an interest in this classic toy. Her Auntie Cecily has been making them "couture" knitted dresses that are exquisite. She knits them on tiny 2mm needles and it has been a challenge to source out finely woven yarn.
There is the Barbie sporting the "boyfriend" over sized sweater and matching comfy pants with coordinating headband and handbag (yoga girls??). There is the Barbie wearing the ruffled baby pink dress poised perfectly for a spring date night with Ken. One Barbie is resplendent in a form fitting gown, not unlike Michelle Obama's inaugural ballgown. Another outfit is a little creme number with a tulle overskirt, matching cardy (think twinset) and headband. The favourite is, at this time, the wedding dress. Sewn to perfection with darts - Barbie does have a decent chest - and finished off with hand beaded embellishments and beautiful full veil.
Thank you Cecily - your talents and thoughtfulness are endless.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! There really is no end to her talents, is there?! She should have her own blog!