Thursday, July 8, 2010

BLOCK BUCKET







These are the most useful storage units....buckets made from canvas and recycled coffee sacks. My latest is super sized to accommodate all of our Duplo blocks (there is actually room for a few more sets). The inspiration was instantaneous when I saw my daughter's newest Playmobil lady. I loved the graphic pattern on her jersey and immediately hit the recycled stash to make my own version of this bold design.

I cut loads of circles (loose definition) and arranged them in pleasing colour palettes and sizes. Together they form the nine circles that I sewed onto the burlap before assembling the bucket. I used some old burlap ribbon (again loose definition) for the handles which melds into the small hands that drag it around the house.

Fabric buckets make clean up time easy and they are a viable alternative to plastic containers. Any design could be put onto the bucket using old packaging with your sewing machine - just look at your toys or nature for sources of potential artwork inspiration.

1 comment:

Ann @ The Scrapbooking Housewife said...

Fabulous work, Karen!! Inspiration comes from all sorts of places! :-)