Tuesday, July 27, 2010

WORK OF ART






My husband and I have been diligently watching (and enjoying) Bravo's latest reality tv show - Work of Art - The Next Great Artist. The premise is a group of artist's have gathered and given a challenge each week. They have a limited time span and funds to create a piece of art that they then show in a gallery setting to be judged by a panel of art critics, gallery owners, artist and the like. One contestant is chosen as the winner and gains immunity towards the following week challenge whilst one contestant is eliminated.

We have decided (with much excitement) to play along at home and create our own works based on the same challenge featured on the show. The first week the contestants had to do a portrait of their room mate. Any medium was game from digital, watercolour, oil and print making. Some were true likenesses based on how the artist viewed their subject. Others were so abstract even the judges had a hard time critiquing the work.

I chose a small 8"by 8" canvas for my portrait (of my husband) which I then treated to a coat of sky blue acrylic paint. I then added some fluffy white clouds and did a VERY simple line drawing of what I thought the essential lines of my husbands face consisted of using a litho crayon. He is very much a dreamer, therefore, I thought it fitting to do a portrait of his head "in the clouds".

John's work is a pen and ink line drawing filled in with colouring markers. He chose not to do a classic portrait, instead selecting elements of my interests to fill his page - Buddha, light and the garden.
This has been a really fun challenge to push ones creative process. We are already working on the next challenge....stay tuned!




1 comment:

Fiona said...

Very cool, but come one! Where's the post about being published in a magazine??!! Can't wait to see your fabulous work in print!