Tuesday, September 8, 2009

LOVING BURLAP








I have been doing some sewing with old burlap coffee sacks. So many thanks to Coyote Cafe(http://www.coyotescoffee.ca/ ) for donating their huge coffee bean bags - they are by far the best (and my most favourite) place in town to get a Soy Latte. Thanks for sharing and keeping them out of the recycling bin!!

My inspiration came from GreenCraft Magazine - a wonderful Stampington publication that showcases reclycling, eco-cycling and up-cycling projects. I was instantly smitten and had to get busy creating with burlap. So far I have made a chef hat for my Chef husband, a tote bag and coffee cozy. Also a unique burlap pillow that I have submitted to GreenCraft Magazine (fingers crossed).

This mag has made me so excited about working with materials that would normally go into the recycling bin. I've used old coffee packaging and twist ties in bold and interesting ways. Now I am saving any colourful plastic bag to use in further creations. (If you have any, please send them my way).
In fact, have just had a request for a small burlap bag from John (husband) to store the garlic he just picked from the garden.....off to the sewing machine I go. Will post the finished bag soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have asked Brian to save his latest coffee bag for you - it has a really bold print on the front.