Monday, October 26, 2009

FABRIC BUCKET


















Here is my latest creation (made on a wet Sunday morning when we could not get to the beach). It is a fabric bucket inspired from http://www.mayamade.blogspot.com/ . I thought it would make the perfect receptacle for Quinn's many toy cars as it seems durable and has handles that he can easily use.

The exterior is made using my recycled coffee sacks - just love the graphic labeling on this heavy burlap fabric. I also love that these sacs are being re-purposed and staying out of the landfill. The interior is a very heavy duty cotton canvas that I also use to make canvas albums. Again, its natural appearance compliments the organic look of the burlap. This canvas is super strong and helps the bucket (which is about 13 inches high) keep its shape. I lined the outer and inner shell with quilting batting ,which again reinforces the shape.

I free hand cut a Euro look "smart car" from old coffee packaging and sewed it onto the burlap with a contrasting zig-zag stitch. This little car adds a graphic punch and subtly suggests the buckets intended contents.

The handles are made from canvas with some bold boy-looking ribbon detail. Quinn is pleased with his new bucket and he can easily stash his cars and take them from room to room.

This was a really fun and wonderfully functional project to make and I'll try some in different sizes in the future.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

how sweet. When do you have the time???? How do you keep the kids out of your hair while you create? Do tell....
Love the bag- you should sell these.
BB

Anonymous said...

Love it! I agree, if you have time to make more, you should have some at the Gift Market.

dancing dragonfly said...

I really like this and love that it is made from recycling other products! The car pattern is super!!!