Saturday, October 24, 2009

GARDEN IN OCTOBER













I love the garden equally in spring with its new delicate green mounds poking through the earth and the autumn when the plants are getting ready to hibernate for the winter (a short one on the west coast). Today we played in the leaves, explored our garden and ate the straggler cherry tomatoes that lingered on the once robust vines.

I was happy to see my new addition to the garden was in flower - a toad lily. It promised beautiful speckled flowers in a deep plum colour and it's tag did not disappoint. There were an abundant of miniature flowers facing the shallow October sunlight. Pretty pleasing.

On our walk we found seed pods from a nearby Beech tree. I love their roughness and spiky hair like fronds that ensconce the nut. The oak leaves are such a gorgeous mix of browns, tans, and burnt umbras alike. (I feel a leafy project coming on...).

No comments: