Friday, August 7, 2009

A DONNA DOWNEY KIND OF DAY





































Today I was inspired by Donna Downey's style of art. She is such an amazing "cross scrapbooker" and incorporates a variety of medias into her work that appeals to my own mixed media sensibilities.

So, while Quinn was enjoying his nap, Elizabeth and I got busy with our acrylics. We set up our makeshift "studio" on the deck and I cut up pieces of cloth canvas to paint on. I love that children are so completely uninhibited and just dig into their art. Elizabeth enjoyed the process making her imaginative paintings that magically morphed with the addition of more paint. My goal was to make a cloth scrapbook so I simply painted all of my canvas rectangles a myriad of colours - kiwi, orange, egg shell blue, pear, shimmery turquoise...

Quinn eventually awoke and joined us to paint a picture.

I bound my nine colourful cloth pages with my Bind-It-All machine and now it awaits embellishments, photographs, ephemera and more!

No comments: