Sunday, August 2, 2009

MORE BEES PLEASE!





With the bee population in danger, I think it is terribly important to do what we can to attract them to our gardens. In our garden they love the abundant lavender - I had wanted to harvest the lavender this year, however, could not bring myself to cut it back since the bees were enjoying it too much. I have to suffice by pinching off the odd sprig to sniff or throw into the kids bath.
If you really want to be a hit with the neighbourhood bees, then I suggest growing Sea Holly. I have several Sea Holly plants in a sunny location that will usually boast no less than 3 dozen bees of many varieties (big & fuzzy, small, orange backed, thin - my bee termination is not up to par!). It sounds like a formula one racetrack when nearby. I staked these lovely, prickly, silvery flowers with candle sticks that we had made for our garden wedding 7 years ago. They are stairway spindles that we bought from ReStore and my husband painted them white with different flowers. They looked so pretty with lit candles scattered around the garden on our wedding day and now I am thrilled to recycle them yet again to help keep the long Sea Holly stalks staked.
I plan to divide these plants up in the fall or next spring and create more bee havens around the garden in the future.

No comments: